Saturday, August 18, 2007

Not-So-Express

On Tuesday evening I went to the train station in Chisinau, two days before I wanted to leave, to buy a train ticket to Moscow. I, in going two days early, , thought I had a lot of time. So you can imagine my surprise when I asked the woman if there was any open space and, after glancing at her computer, she replied, "No. You should have come earlier today. It's all full now."

Naturally I was shocked, left with only one viable option - a bus. So there I was Thrusday morning at 8:15 (having gone to bed at 4:00 and woken up at 6:30), taking my place on the Chisinau-Moscow not-so-express. The target time was 30 hours upon departure, which turned out to be not true. It was 31.

Although, I do have to say, it could have been much worse. When we pulled I decided to get into a mental-zone in which nothing would bother me, basically spacing out for the length of the trip. I slept about 9 hours, and while I could have certainly been more comfortable, I also could have been much more uncomfortable, so I can't complain.

My friends met be off the bus and so far, a little more than a day into my trip. Highlights include talking to 4 really drunk (falling down) Scottish guys at a club in Moscow - I did all the talking with the waiters and they bought my beer, a fair deal. My friend and I went to bed at 7:00 in the morning after falling asleep on the metro ride home and slept until 2:00 in the afternoon.

In general, it's been great. It's so much more comfortable knowing the language - I can't describe it, but it's just very relaxing.

Can't wait to enjoy my next 8 days too . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home