Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Finally, A Hitch

I met my parents in Istanbul last Saturday and had an amazing time stomping around that city with them. It being my second time there, I was able to function as a defacto-guide of sorts, navigating the streets and sights and mosques without any problems.

Actually, the whole trip was without a problem. It was great to be around my Mom and Dad again, talking and walking around and just being in the presence of each-other was awesome.

The plan for yesterday, June 12th, was for me to fly to Moldova at 10:00 on a Turkish Air flight with my parents following in the late afternoon on an Air Moldova flight at 4:00, when my host brother would pick us up and take us to the village where my host Mom would, in turn, be waiting for us.

Things went well for me until about 10:00 AM yesterday - my flight in was harmless, getting through customs was like normal. When I passed through, though, I turned around to check the "arrivals" screen out of habit. Next to their flight was written something in Romanian (as there are only seven flights a day, it was easy to find). My heart instantly fell and I prayed quickly that it didn't say what I thought it said. The next second it flashed over: CANCELLED. Ouch.

I quickly left for the Peace Corps Moldova office where I penned an e-mail telling them to alert me of their plans. I've been waiting 26 hours now and still no response. I have no idea where they are exactly, although logic would dictate that they will be on the Air Moldova flight today from Istanbul.

So I'm off to the airport in an hour, hoping and praying that, despite the lack of contact, they will be getting off the plane. If so, great. If not . . . I have no idea where to begin to start to look for them. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy,

I saw the 35W bridge yesterday, it's an impressive mess. There are a lot of people visiting the sight, like a tourist attraction.

Good news about the visa, it was a struggle to get it but its done now.

The Gophers were training at St. John's. Coach Brewster grovelled at the feet of Coach Gagliardi, the "all time winningest coach". It was like when Clem Haskins said that by winning the NIT the Gophers were the National Champions. The whole experience gave the local sport reporters more opportunities to build up the "Johnnies" mythology.

'Bye for now,


Dad

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home