Friday, October 27, 2006

That Settled it



I had known for a while that I needed to come to Chisinau, capital of Moldova, for a weekend of language training October 28th and 29th and that I needed to be in Chisinau Friday evening by 5:00. My original plan was to go there after lessons on Friday (I only teach two) but as the week progressed I began to think more and more of going early Friday morning, doing some work at the Peace Corps office, and relaxing a bit. My feelings were bolstered when my partner teacher told me that she could take my students if I was gone.

I wavered back and forth all day Thursday. The main problem is that there are two ways to get to Chisinau: I can go by bus that leaves the village every day at 6:00 or take two smaller busses and a trolleybus in Chisinau to get to my destination. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The bus is nice because I can just sit down and, two hours later, I’m at my destination. However, I need to get up at 5:00AM to ride it. The smaller busses allow my to sleep in and go after lessons, but it’s a big pain because I have to transfer in the regional center and then on the outskirts of Chisinau again.

Then Thursday I arrived home after working with a girl in the 10th grade. My host mom told me something about the pig, and I thought we were going to kill it. That got me excited, because it’s really interesting to watch. However, when I asked how we were going to kill it she told me that I was wrong and then made a snipping motion with her fingers. That requires no
transaction - castration time.

I won’t go into details but I will simply say that, as I was watching it, I figured that a trip to Chisinau would be a great gift to myself to get to Chisinau early.

So above are pictures. The top is of the two girls with whom I spent the "xpam" a few weeks ago - Alina on the left and Katya on the right. In the middle is a photo of our barrel of grapes from which the wine came. And on the bottom is the name of my village in Romanian and Russian.

Good luck with the Cyrillic.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, it is interesting that you find so much gratification in the death of the livestock. Perhaps you missed your calling, and upon returning to the states should work on farm...

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home